Tuesday, December 10, 2013

No Turning Back

Tomorrow is the day when I feel like there is no going back.  The gravity of our decision weighs on me now.  Even though we have jumped through numerous hoops to reach this point, and all along we could have stopped and said no, and we haven't... and even though I know that this is the right decision for us, everything changes starting tomorrow.  My husband's sperm will mix with another woman's egg.  Once that happens, it is on.  No going back.  Period.  It's normal to feel just a tad bit emotional about this, right?  But is anything normal in this Bizzaro-world of infertility?

This moment reminds me of a card I received once from a good friend upon graduation from high school.  I still remember it well.  It had a picture of a traveler walking down a road (maybe he was more of a hobo because he had one of those rod polka-dot handkerchiefs on a stick carried on his shoulder like you see in the Tom & Jerry cartoons)  Anyway, the Wanderer had reached a fork in the road and there was just one sign.  The sign said, "No Going Back!"

It appears my friends, that Robert Frosts' The Road Less Traveled By is my life once more.

"I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

One can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment